I know, I know… there is a “national day” for just about everything. BUT! I have always been a big fan of black licorice (Natural Vines are darn good!) and Red Vines are very popular around here, so I was pretty excited when I was offered some tasty bits of goodness in exchange for helping you get pumped about National Licorice Day.
We’ve played games with Red Vines, used them as party favors, and always have some on hand. Just tonight we made some yummy ice cream floats with Cherry 7Up and Berry Sherbet, and we used Red Vines as straws!
What is National Licorice Day?
National Licorice Day is this Friday, April 12th. It is the day that candy enthusiasts everywhere have full permission to enjoy their favorite licorice, without apology. I know a few people who will be indulging in their favorite licorice bits on Friday… Will you?
Five Top Licorice Fun Facts from Red Vines ::
1) More than 30,000 tons of Red Vines are made each year—or more than 400,000 miles of licorice—enough to wrap around the Earth more than 16 times!
2) In 2011, U.S. licorice sales topped $359 million, a 6.56 percent increase from the year before. It is part of the non-chocolate candy market, which had total sales of $6.87 billion.
3) Black licorice is 50 times sweeter than sugar, and derives its botanical name from the Greek words meaning “sweet root.”
4) Celebrities love Red Vines! Ryan Gosling, Snoop Dogg, Joshua Jackson, Jennette McCurdy and Magic Johnson are all fans of the classic licorice brand. Betty White even credits them with keeping her 91 years young.
5) American Licorice Company has been producing in the San Francisco Bay Area for 33 years, and its Union City, California factory values process before automation: The old press that delivers the dough to the first floor is still there, the second floor cook room has large kettles that fill the dough into the old large spiral ovens before being checked for quality and packaged. It also has production facilities in La Porte, Indiana.
How will YOU celebrate National Licorice Day?